A Case Study : Epoch HVLS 16-ft Fan By Falco eMotors Inc.
Report No. 040720-03
- GAPL is inter alia engaged in the manufacture of Rectified Spirit and Extra Neutral Alcohol from grain and molasses.
During operation, the machine generates heat which raises the air temperature of the facility.Normal domestic ceiling fans did not cover the entire shop premises. Therefore, the shop workers were not physically comfortable. They were unable to focus on their work.
Also, the shop shed is packed on all sides, so there is no movement of air in the shed. This situation can affect shopkeepers.
- To provide relief to workers and increase productivity, the management decided to install HVLS fans in their shops. With low power consumption, HVLS fans move plenty of air to the shops and create a buzz.
- Epoch 2.0, 16-ft 04 Fans was installed with the following specifications ;
- Motor: Epoch 2.0;
- Coverage Area: 12000 Sq. Ft. (1,114 Sq. m);
- Speed: 95 RPM;
- Peak Power: 1.1kW/1.5 hp;
Epoch 2.0, 16 ft diameter fan becomes most popular with amazing airflow and airflow efficiency.
A site survey is mandatory before any HVLS fan recommendation. The survey revealed the following dimensions:
- Total Area: 115 ft X 112 ft = 12,880 Sq. ft.
- Floor to Ceiling Distance: 22 to 25 ft
- By a rule of thumb distance/1.5 gives us the approximate fan diameter.
- In this case, we chose to go with a 16-ft fan.
Fan and Coverage Area:
Three test reports are collected for each fan installation as follows:
- Power Consumption Report;
- Input Current Report;
- Air Flow Report.
Those reports are shown for this site:
Power consumption report captures the real as well as apparent power. Epoch HVLS fans are the only fans in the world to have active power factor correction and unity power factor. Therefore the Watts (Real Power) and VARs (the apparent power) are almost the same. The power has been captured at 55, 65, 75, 85 and 95 RPM. Power drawn at those speeds are 330, 560, 670, 820 and 980W respectively. The chart above also shows trend lines generated using Excel for real and apparent power to take into account any measurement errors as fan power consumption can be modeled by well known equations.
The input current is also measured at 55, 65, 75, 85 and 95 RPM. Input current is recorded as 0.89, 1.7, 2.9, 3.8 and 4.7A respectively. The input voltage varied from 240 to 244V during the measurement.
The airflow is measured from the center of the fan and is recorded at every 3-ft distance. Values were recorded upto 30-ft from the center of the fan. The values were respectively, 370, 390, 420, 490, 520, 595, 570, 490, 310, 290 ft/min at distances of 3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24,27, and 30-ft respectively.
Estimated Yearly Savings while Using Epoch HVLS Fans
Epoch 16-ft fan was compared against Indian HVLS fan Manufacturer. Based on their data sheet, daily, monthly and yearly power consumption and costs were calculated. An Epoch HVLS fan will save the end user anywhere from $683 to $6,946 per year over any competitive brands because of its unique technology.
Above is the picture of the finished installation.