A Case Study : Epoch HVLS 20-ft Fan By Falco eMotors Inc.
Report No. 040820-01
- Sparkonix Group engineers a range of innovative solutions in Spark Erosion, Steel rebar branding, integrated rebar handling systems, construction and welding technologies.
Sparkonix’ shed are made up from steel, and in the summer, operators and office staff suffer heat, which directly affects their efficiency.
They have installed wall mounted fans for air movement but it could not provide enough air and the huge noise of that fan was disturbed.
Each month, Shop Floor discovers more sophisticated ways to conserve energy to make it more environmentally friendly and less expensive.
- SIPL has found an effective solution to reduce energy costs in industrial facilities is a big industrial Epoch HVLS fan, which uses less energy to cool down.
- Epoch 2.0, 20-ft Fan was installed with the following specifications ;
- Motor: Epoch 2.0;
- Coverage Area: 18000 Sq. Ft. (1,672 Sq. m);
- Speed: 60 RPM;
- Peak Power: 1.1kW/1.5 hp;
Epoch 2.0, 20-ft Fan is created with PMSM technology and gearless design that eliminates noise from friction between gears.
A site survey is mandatory before any HVLS fan recommendation. The survey revealed the following dimensions:
- Total Area: 120 ft X 45 ft = 5,400 Sq. ft.
- Floor to Ceiling Distance: 30 to 32 ft
- By a rule of thumb distance/1.5 gives us the approximate fan diameter.
- In this case, we chose to go with a 20-ft fan.
Fan and Coverage Area:
Three test reports are collected for each fan installation as follows:
- Power Consumption Report;
- Input Current Report;
- Air Flow Report.
Those reports are shown for this site:
Power consumption report captures the real as well as apparent power. Epoch HVLS fans are the only fans in the world to have active power factor correction and unity power factor. Therefore the Watts (Real Power) and VARs (the apparent power) are almost the same. The power has been captured at 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 RPM. Power drawn at those speeds are 320, 410, 560, 760 and 1035W respectively. The chart above also shows trend lines generated using Excel for real and apparent power to take into account any measurement errors as fan power consumption can be modeled by well known equations.
The input current is also measured at 20, 30, 40, 50 and 60 RPM. Input current is recorded as 0.76, 1.1, 2.4, 3.6, and 4.8A respectively. The input voltage varied from 235 to 244V during the measurement.
The airflow is measured from the center of the fan and is recorded at every 3-ft distance. Values were recorded upto 30-ft from the center of the fan. The values were respectively, 117, 259, 320, 336, 383, 339, 358, 330, 269 ft/min at distances of 3,6,9,12,15,18,21,24, and 27-ft respectively.
Estimated Yearly Savings while Using Epoch HVLS Fans
Epoch 20-ft fan was compared against Indian HVLS fan Manufacturer. Based on their data sheet, daily, monthly and yearly power consumption and costs were calculated. An Epoch HVLS fan will save the end user anywhere from $529 to $2,237 per year over any competitive brands because of its unique technology.
Above is the picture of the finished installation.